Monday, May 11, 2009

Spring activities...


Clifton B. & Sadie Rainey Young
My grandparents...She is the one pictured in the header. He is pictured below on the far right, in the picture of the baptism in the creek. He was a preacher, song writer, music school teacher (the old timey kind they had at churches), and also a Justice of the Peace.
We went to visit the cemetery Saturday.





Purple green beans (not sure of type), garlic bloom, basil in bloom, little bartlett pear, yellow straight neck squash, and the biddies. After I took the picture yesterday, last night a fox got three of them. Monday did NOT get off to a very good start, but it did improve, thank the Lord.

We picked about a bushel of the purple green beans at my mothers and step fathers (the green beans are waiting patiently on me to finish them...LOL ). I have already done about half of them, and had to rest a bit. They are blanching...

Anyway, I helped my mother cook dinner (lunch to us Southern folks), and we ate there.

MENU:

  • venison sausage
  • oven fried mixed potatoes (recipe following)
  • cornbread
  • steamed cauliflour
  • english peas and potatoes with white sauce
  • sweet iced tea

She sent us home with a flounder, fresh collards, frozen corn on the cob, new potatoes, a mess of fresh bream my step-father caught this morning (my husband cleaned them for him, and he gave them to us---he doesn't eat fish but he LOVES fishing....LOL)

Anyway, the potatoes were delicious:

Cut up 2 sweet potatoes, 4 red and/or russet potatoes, and 2 onions, all diced large. Spray cookie sheet with olive oil, place everything on the pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and drizzle (or spray) olive oil over all. Bake @ 350 degrees until tender, uncovered and golden brown., approximately an hour.



My sister also brought me a half dozen big turnip roots, and 2 grocery bags full of yellow squash and zucchini. I have my work cut out for me....I'll be up late for sure!

Gotta run and check on my beans...Okay, I'm back!

Here are the beans blanching (5 min.):
I'll cool them off in ice water, then bag them up and put them in the freezer.

I hear the timer....Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment